Monday, October 25, 2010

Raw Food for Everyone

Yesterday we took Madelyn to the pumpkin patch.  We have a great one here in town (Fredrickson Farms!!)

They have some great decorations and lots of pumpkins and mums.  It was so pretty.  Here are a few of my favorite photos:






The first one is my favorite and the last one is Brian favorite!  She is just so cute.  I know I'm a little biased and all, but still!!!!

It was such a busy weekend and we had a blast, but I'm worn out! 

Recently, I was given the opportunity to preview the cookbook Raw Food for Everyone, Essential Techniques and 300 Simple-to Sophisticated Recipes by Alissa Cohen.  I love this book.  So much information on how to prepare raw food as well as the good recipes.

Alissa turned to a raw food diet after battling with weight gain, fibrmyalgia and other illnesses.  She was able to heal her body and have more energy, brighter skin and a happier and healthier state of mind!

When I had my health problems, I switched to a raw food diet as well and I can tell you that it is the healthiest possible diet out there.  It is a life-style change and not always easy, especially living in the midwest with those cold winters, but I was able to turn my health around very quickly with diet changes!

Since I have some sweet potatoes I thought I'd share this wonderful soup!

Sweet Potato - Grapefruit Soup

An unusual pairing, but this creamy but light soup is bright in flavor and in color.  It's perfect during the winter when sweet potatoes and grapefruit are abundant.  Chiles add a little kick.

Two good -size sweet potatoes put through a juicer will yeild pporximatley 2 cups juice. There is no need to peel the potatoes before juicing them.

Garnish with some jalapeno rings or grapefruit segments if you like.

I can't wait to try the pizza crust recipe!  I'll let you know how it turns out!



Makes 4 servings
2 cups sweet potato juice (from about 2 sweet potatoes)
2 cups coarsely chopped sweet potatoes (from about 1 sweet potato)
3 cups coconut milk
2 cups freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
2 jalapeno chiles
8 basil leaves, torn

1.  Put the sweet potato juice, shopped sweet potatoes, coconut milk, grapefruit juice and chiles in a Vita-Mix, blend to a puree.

2.  Divide the soup among 4 bowls, garnish with the basil and serve immediately.

Cover and refrigerate for up to 1-2 days.
 
Discussion:  Do you use a juicer?  I have one and I'll go in spurts with it.  I'll use it like crazy and leave it out on the counter, then put it away and forget about it for a long time!