Sunday, June 26, 2011

breathtaking views

Yesterday was a great day!  We started off driving around the mountain (at least to the places we hadn't been yet) and it was a long day in the car, but the views were so worth it.

We headed off to Clingman's Dome first.  This was the HARDEST 1/2 mile I have ever walked.  It was straight uphill - imagine putting your treadmill on the highest incline setting and taking off for 1/2 mile.  That was exactly what it was like.  We started out good and very quickly realized we were going to have to take a couple of breaks.   BUT, we made it to the top and the view was sooo worth it!

Absolutely beautiful

we were above the clouds!!

a view of part of our walk up!

We found a great hiking trail and off we went.  We didn't see any bears, I kinda wanted to see one - from a distance, mind you, but we didn't have to worry about it.  I think I'm glad after all!

I scrambled down (almost fell) and Brian told me to pose......


on our hike

We also found a suspension bridge to cross.  It was weird, I hadn't been on one before.  It was a bouncy walk.  There was a great stream, creek (whatever you want to call it) and we took a few minutes to hang around and enjoy the quiet.  We were the only ones there!


We are on the move today - headed to Nashville and meeting one of my marilu.com friends today!  Should be some fun!!

Discussion:  do you have to plan out your vacations or do you wing it..  We are winging it this trip!