Sunday, July 4, 2010

a rainy 3rd of July

I wanted to be sure to post the photos of my garden produce and the farmer's market produce.  It is so pretty.




The top photo is out of the garden, zucchini, squash, cucumbers, tomatoes and the onions are from the farmer's market.

The second photo is of the kohlrabi, radishes and eggplant.  I have had radishes and eggplant before, but I hadn't seen this variety of eggplant.

My plan for the kohlrabi is to slice it thin, eat it raw sprinkled with some olive oil and spices.  I'll be sure to let you know how it turns out.  I was told it tastes like broccoli stems.  Should be good!!!

I'll be making a pasta salad today with all the fresh veggies in it - raw.  Then cover it with a balsamic vinagrette.  One of my favorite recipes!  The rest of the family is going to eat shrimp and then we are also having corn on the cob, fresh from the garden!  Can't wait.

We had a lot of fun yesterday even though it rained all day!  We were supposed to take the girls para-sailing, but due to the rain, we didn't get to go.  We have an appointment to take them today at 2 pm.  Please think sunny thoughts for us.  They are so excited!!  There was a little napping, some reading and lots of eating and chatting!











We did boat out to watch the fireworks.  It was raining, but the show was good.  Tonight will be the bigger show.  I tried to take some photos of the fireworks, but they didn't turn out so great!

Have a wonderful 4th!  I hope that you enjoy your time with family and friends.  I am giving thanks for our freedom!  Be safe!