Thursday, January 5, 2012

Stuck in a food rut?

How often do you eat the same thing?  Day after day, stuck in a food rut?  I am somewhat guilty of this and decided that I want to try new recipes and also to try new fruits and veggies. 

I was at the grocery store yesterday and picked up a star fruit.  Have you ever tried one? I've had it one time before.  The kids were much younger and really enjoyed trying something new.  It was fun and the starfruit even tasted good.  The kids were really surprised!

 Not the most appealing looking fruit, huh?

But when you cut it, it is shaped like stars.  Fun!  It tastes a bit like a cross between an apple and a pear.  A little tart, but crunchy.  I really do like it.

So, the next time you are at the grocery store, pick up a fruit or veggie you have never tried and give it a go, let's get ourselves out of the same ol', same ol'!

Yesterday's challenge was to eat 2 servings of fruit.  Sorry that I didn't get here to post it, the day just got away from me.  I had so much to get done!

Today's challenge:

Your nutrition challenge today is to eat healthy whole grains. White bread and rice are empty calories, so instead eat some whole grain bread with your sandwich or brown rice with your meal. This is a great healthy habit to start today.
Be good to your self today!
 
You can do these at any time you want to challenge yourself and get caught up!!!
I did challenge myself yesterday in that I did Total Body Blast with Chalene Johnson in the morning and then my regular P90X2 workout, Plyocide (doesn't that name just sound scary?) in the evening.  I'm working out with 2 different friends at different times of the day and it is a bit of a challenge for me, but I am so excited to be back on track!

So, a little challenge for you - get out your favorite cook book and pick a recipe you have not used, make it this weekend and let me know how you and your family likes it!  Let's quit eating the same foods day in and day out.  Be adventurous!!!
I've been using my crock pot and my new favorite cookbook (The Vegan Slow Cooker by Kathy Hester) and trying at least one new recipe per week.

Also, you can find all kinds of fun and interesting recipes on pinterest.  Are you on pinterest?  Let me know and we can follow each other.  Just watch those recipes, most of them are not the healthiest!!