Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Just about everyone that knows me, knows that I don't like cold weather. I much prefer summer, spring and fall to winter. So, I am thrilled that the hot weather is here. It's so hot today that the temperature of our pool is 96 degrees. Now, that is a little hot for pool water. Even for Brian!!! I love being able to spend time with my family at our lakehouse, boating, swimming and just enjoying our time together. We all were together this weekend at the lake for Father's Day. Nick made Brian a cake, Chase and Meredith got Brian some tiki torches for the deck and Jake gave Brian a nice handshake. LOL!! We had an amazing lunch with Brian's family and then came home and spent the evening with the kids in the pool. I'd say Brian had a great day!

Another thing I love about warmer/hot weather is the abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables. There is nothing better in my book. I made green beans and new potatoes for dinner tonight. They were sooo good. I also made a recipe for strawberry salsa. A very nice twitter friend gave me the recipe and she got it from http://rawepicurean.net/ I'll post the recipe below. It was very yummy. Brian thought is was odd, but still ate his fair share!!

Brian's elbow is still bothering him. He fell a few weeks ago and banged his elbow. He burst the bursa sac and is now suffering from bursitis. He also played golf this week and his elbow doesn't work quite right and it's sore from that as well. He's icing it and trying to take care of it, but not going to the dr to get it fixed - yet.

I leave for New York City next week. I am so excited about this trip. Mom, Hermina, Lisa and Judy and I are all going. Julie (my niece) is at dance camp there and you know, someone has to go and pick her up. We all are going to suffer through it for her LOL! We have so many wonderful things planned. If you have any good suggestions, please post them here. We leave on the 1st.

Strawberry Salsa

When shopping for strawberries they can be large or small in size but must be fragrant and a deep red in color. I used white onions, not yellow here for it’s clean, sharp onion flavor.
2 cups finely chopped strawberries, about 1 pound1/2 cup finely chopped white onion4 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro1 teaspoon fresh lime juice1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Gently mix all ingredients together in a bowl. This recipe can be prepared in advance. Keep refrigerated up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Yields 2 1/2 cups

Sliced Avocado Fans

Cut in half an avocado and removed the stone and skin. Take one half of the avocado and cut in into equal, making 1/8-inch vertical cuts but not completely through. Turn on its side or stand it upright and gently spread out the slices.

Spicy Cilantro Vinaigrette

2 cups fresh cilantro1 cup extra virgin olive oil1 fresh serrano or jalapeƱo chili pepper
Blend together all ingredients in a blender until smooth. Can be prepared in advance. Keep refrigerated up to 2-3 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Yields about 1 1/4 cups

Strawberry Fans

Take a whole strawberry with top still attached, place on a cutting board with the hull side down. Make vertical cuts but not completely through, leaving the top part uncut. Turn the strawberry on its side or stand it upright and gently spread out the slices.

Assemble

Pour or drizzle desired amount of spicy cilantro vinaigrette on individual plates. Place avocado fans on top of the vinaigrette. Place strawberry salsa atop the avocado slices. Garnish with cilantro leaves, strawberry fans, and fresh ground black pepper.